- Please read Jhumpa Lahiri’s short story “A Temporary Matter,” and then write a coherent and unified essay of 3-5 pages which analyzes the story and addresses the following items:
- Identify how the Lahiri’s story reflects one of the conventional theories of grief and/or the kinds of grief the characters Shoba and Shukumare are experiencing.
- Examine, discuss, and evaluate how the author crafts a response of empathy in the reader or evokes grief. In order to examine and discuss the crafting, please include detailed answers to the following.
- Is the introduction well developed and does it provide engaging background information about the character(s) and/or setting? In addition, does the introduction hook the reader’s interest?
- Is the plot clearly depicted in the story? Is the story developed around events that lead to a climax or a resolution?
- Did the author use descriptive details to fully develop the character? Are characters believable and do they have depth?
- Does the story include a sufficient amount of dialogue that is correctly written and easily read? Is the dialogue is authentic to the character speaking?
- Does the story depict a clear resolution of the conflict with a unique and interesting wrap up of all character and plot elements that is satisfying to the reader?
- Did you think this writer was successful in evoking grief or compassion? Why or why not?
- Compose your work using a word processor (or other software as appropriate) and save it frequently to your computer. Your essay should be written in Microsoft Word or Open Office document (freeware found at Open Office).
Be sure to proofread your essay for spelling and grammar. SmartThinking is available to assist you with your writing. Students may access SmartThinking assistance by selecting the “Free Tutoring” link on the course’s left navigation bar.
Before you submit this assignment to the dropbox below, be sure to upload a copy to the “Final” dropbox for this assignment on Turnitin.com. A “Draft” dropbox is also available so that you can use the originality report provided as a learning tool to improve your work prior to final submission.
When you’re ready to submit your work, click Browse My Computer and find your file. Once you’ve located your file click Open and, if successful, the file name will appear under the Attached files heading. Scroll to the bottom of the page, click Submit and you’re done. The assignment must be submitted in the proper module assignment dropbox. Do not submit assignments via email or virtual office.
This assignment is worth 10% of your grade, and will be evaluated using the SLA Reflective Essay Rubric. Rubrics can be found within the Start Here – Course Information area. Review the rubric carefully so you understand how you are graded.