Please read ALL directions below before starting your assignment. You may find it helpful to print a copy and cross off or highlight as you complete each expectation. Good luck!
HRMN300 Assignment 1 – Summer 2019 – Dr. Chris Cavanaugh
- Please submit your assignment as an attachment in your assignments folder.
- Your assignment cannot be accepted via messages, email or conferences.
- You must submit to the assignment link by the due date stated in the syllabus for credit. A missing assignment will be assigned a 0.
- Respond to all four questions below on a new, blank word processing document (such as MS Word). Identify them as Question A, B, C, and D.
- Develop each answer to the fullest extent possible, discussing the nuances of each topic and presenting your arguments logically. In addition, include citations from outside resources to support your arguments.
- Each answer should be robust and developed in-depth.
- You are expected to demonstrate critical thinking skills, as well as an understanding of the issues identified. Some questions may also require personal reflection and practical application. Your responses will be evaluated for content as well as grammar and punctuation.
- All writing must be your original work. PLEASE do not copy or quote anything. Sources are just that, a reference. Once you locate the information, read and interpret the data. What does it mean to you? Type your own thoughts and own words. Then, include in-text citations to support your ideas. This is not a research paper.
o Include a Cover Page with Name, Date, and Title of Assignment.
- Do not include the original question, only the question letter (A, B, C, or D).
- Each response should be written in complete sentences, double-spaced and spell-checked. Use 12-point Times New Roman font with 1-inch margins on all sides. Include page numbers according to APA formatting guidelines.
- In addition, you will want to include citations in APA format at the end of each answer. Include a minimum of 3 references for each answer. References should not be older than 5 years.
A) Discuss the evolution of the HR role from administrative to strategic. What factors were involved in this transition? Why is it important for HR to be involved in the organizational strategic planning process? What types of skills are needed by HR professionals today and why are they important (name at least 3)? How are they different from the skills needed 20 or 30 years ago?
B) Reflect on the HR function in your current organization or an organization you have worked for. Evaluate the HR role in the organization and discuss the alignment between HR priorities and the organizational strategy (do not name the organization). In other words, did you see evidence of a strategic focus? Why or why not?
A) Discuss how an organization’s diversity strategy can support the business strategy. Provide at least three specific examples and explain why and how they support organizational success.
B) Consider the organization you work at or one you have worked at in the past and evaluate the diversity program. How was it effective and how did support the strategic goals of the organization? If it was not effective, explain what factors made it ineffective.
Some organizations follow a lengthy, complex selection process, whereas in other organizations the process may be more streamlined. Some may view the longer and more complex selection process to be more valid.
A) What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a lengthier process versus a more streamlined one? Consider the perspectives of both the job seekers and the organization and the tradeoffs between efficiency and effectiveness. As a job seeker, what process would you prefer to follow and why?
B) Consider the selection process for an organization where you were ultimately hired. How would you describe the process from a candidate perspective? Do you believe it was effective? Why or why not?
A) Discuss the interrelationships between recruiting, selection and retention. Why is it important to consider retention as part of the selection process? How would you evaluate your recruiting and selection programs to determine the impact on employee retention?
B) Consider your organization or one where you have been recently employed. What are some strategies used by human resource managers to retain employees? Are they effective? Why or why not?