BMGT 364 Exercise 3: Week 5
NOTE: All submitted work is to be your original work. You may not use any work from another student, the Internet or an online clearinghouse. You are expected to understand the Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism Policy, and know that it is your responsibility to learn about instructor and general academic expectations with regard to proper citation of sources as specified in the APA Publication Manual, 6th Ed. (Students are held accountable for in-text citations and an associated reference list only).
Exercise 3 is due Sunday at 11:59 p.m. eastern time of week 5 unless otherwise changed by the instructor.
Purpose: Organizing of the POLC
Now that Great Start Nutrition has established a new Vision to be a green and sustainable organization, and is launching a new product line, it is critical to organize the initial line of products for the launch as well as to organize the supply line of your ingredients. These decisions will be critical to the success of the launch and is a direct section in the plan.
The organizing function occurs when management synchronizes and combines the resources of the organization (people, capital, and physical) to complete the goals set out in the planning stage. All three of these resources are critical for attaining results. This week you will look at how Great Start Nutrition will align the human resources of the new Infant Formula Division, the culture that will guide the organizational behavior and how the products will align with the mission.
Helen has just tasked the Mayberry Consultants group with determining the best line of infant formula products to be in the initial launch a year from now, the best location for sustainable and organic ingredients, as well as the identification of the facility for production. For the potential product line; as group leader you have been asked to identify potential products and identify the best location to source the organic material for ingredients.
You will then research the cultural considerations of working in another country and discuss whether to source personnel from inside the organization or hire from local communities.
For this exercise, you will act as the group lead from Mayberry Consultants, assigned to Great Start Nutrition’s. You will put together a document that contains answers to the following research items using the course material to support the reasoning. NOTE: You are not providing your opinion as Helen will not accept anything that is not researched.
Due Date: Week 5 – Saturday 11:59pm
Step 1: Course Material
Although you are required to research information for this project, you are also accountable for using the course material and case scenario facts to support the ideas, reasoning and conclusions made. Course material use goes beyond defining terms but is used to explain the ‘why and how’ of a situation. Using one or two in-text citations from the course material in the paper and then relying on Internet source material will not earn many points on an assignment. In fact, Internet resources are limited to the research related to those items related to researching products, sourcing location and identifying cultural considerations. A variety of course material is expected and what is presented must be relevant and applicable to the topic being discussed. Avoid merely making statements but close the loop of the discussion by explaining how something happens or why something happens, which focuses on importance and impact. In closing the loop, you will demonstrate the ability to think clearly and rationally showing an understanding of the logical connections between the ideas presented in a case scenario, the course material and the question(s) being asked.
Step 2: Write an Introduction paragraph
The Introduction paragraph is the first paragraph of the paper and will be used to describe to the reader the intent of the paper explaining the main points covered in the paper. This intent should be understood prior to reading the remainder of the paper so the reader knows exactly what is being covered in the paper.
Write the introduction last to ensure all of the main points are covered.
Step 3: Product identification
You will research and answer the following:
- Discuss what products (i.e. grass feed cow milk, non-GMO, sensitive, liquid, soy, etc.) would be best for the initial launch based on market analysis;
Step 4: Location for Source Ingredients
- Identify the best location to source the organic materials for your ingredients. To do this, you will research and identify where current infant formula companies are sourcing the materials. Select a location and provide an explanation as to why this location would be the best source for the ingredients. Be sure to cite the sources and use the course material in explaining why the location is the best for sourcing the ingredients.
Step 5: Cultural Considerations/Personnel
Based on the location identified in week 2 (Malaysia or China), provide a breakdown of the cultural considerations the new director will need to take into account when relocating and bringing on a staff made up of local nationals.
- Identify the cultural considerations for the country selected in week 2;
- Explain whether the Great Start Nutrition should consider sourcing leaders from other divisions of the company taking them to the new location or should the focus be on hiring local personnel as line managers, shift supervisors, and senior leaders;
Helen plan’s to create the following positions:
- Assistant Executive Director of Operations
- Assistant Executive Director of Finance
- Assistant Executive Director of Marketing
- Assistant Executive Director of Sales
- Discuss what positions would be needed under each of the Assistant Executive Directors and what will be the focus of these positions.
Step 6: Submit the document in the Assignment Folder (The assignment submitted to the Assignment Folder will be considered the student’s final product and therefore ready for grading by the instructor. It is incumbent upon the student to verify the assignment is the correct submission. No exceptions will be considered by the instructor).
How to Set Up the Exercise
Create a Word or Rich Text Format (RTF) document, which requires double spacing. Use Arial, 12-point font. You will cite within the document and provide a reference list on a separate page.
Provide a title page and a reference list on a separate page.
**Do not copy the question and present in a question/answer format.
Completing the Exercise
In order to complete this document, you will want to first read the module, Learn How to Support What You Write, as this assignment requires you to use the course readings and research to support what you write. Also,
- Read the grading rubric for the project. Use the grading rubric while completing the project to ensure all requirements are met that will lead to the highest possible grade.
- Third person writing is required. Third person means that there are no words such as “I, me, my, we, or us” (first person writing), nor is there use of “you or your” (second person writing). If uncertain how to write in the third person, view this link: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/first-second-and-third-person.
- Contractions are not used in business writing, so do not use them.
- Paraphrase and do not use direct quotation marks. Paraphrase means you do not use more than four consecutive words from a source document. Instead put a passage from a source document into your own words and attribute the passage to the source document. Not using direct quotation marks means that there should be no passages with quotation marks and instead the source material is paraphrased as stated above. Note that a reference within a reference list cannot exist without an associated in-text citation and vice versa. You may not use more than four consecutive words from a source document, as doing so would require direct quotation marks. Changing words from a passage does not exclude the passage from having quotation marks. If more than four consecutive words are used from source documents, this material will not be included in the grade and could lead to allegations of academic dishonesty.
- You are expected to use the case scenarios and weekly course material to develop the analysis and support the reasoning. There should be a robust use of the course material along with thorough analysis of potential location information. Material used from a source document must be cited and referenced. A reference within a reference list cannot exist without an associated in-text citation and vice versa. Changing words from a passage does not exclude the passage from having quotation marks. If more than four consecutive words are used from source documents, this material will not be included in the grade and could lead to allegations of academic dishonesty.
- Use in-text citations and provide a reference list that contains the reference associated with each in-text citation.
- You may not use books in completing this exercise unless provided in the classroom.
- Provide the page or paragraph number in every in-text citation presented. If the eBook does not have pages, provide the chapter title and topic heading.
Self-Plagiarism: Self-plagiarism is the act of reusing significant, identical or nearly identical portions of one’s own work. You cannot re-use any portion of a paper or other graded work that was submitted to another class even if you are retaking this course. You also will not reuse any portion of previously submitted work in this class. A zero will be assigned to the assignment if self-plagiarized. Faculty do not have the discretion to accept self-plagiarized work.