[Solved by Experts] 490T_first
Write one single-spaced page (12 point font, Times New Roman, 1-inch margins) on your positionality as it relates to the population you want to focus on in your research or the population you want to work with even outside of a researcher capacity. How might your positionality play a role in these endeavors (i.e., potential issues and solutions)?
It is important to reflect on our positionality. This means:
- Understanding how we experience and view the world
- What frameworks or theories do we align ourselves with and why might that be
- Acknowledging our biases and our privileges
- Recognizing the similarities and differences between our experiences and those of the populations we want to work with/for
- Going beyond stating the similarities and differences and critically thinking about what they mean for the work we want to accomplish and how we will have to go about it
- Do you want to conduct research with foster youth but you do not have first-hand experience with the structures that encompass the foster system? How will you address potential gaps in your understanding of the issues and/or experiences that pervade your population of interest?
- Do you want to start a new program or organization in a community that you do not live in or are new to? How will you address potential issues that come with your positionality as an outsider or newcomer?